Sunday, June 5, 2011

Household Archeology

I spent part of my morning stripping paint off of the hardware that affixes our shutters to our windows.  It occurred to me that as the Dremel ground down to the bare iron, I was looking at over 60 years of paint.  There was the original grayish primer, followed by at least six layers of different colored paint.

Irish woman also found four layers of paint on the shutters themselves:  gray primer, white, off white, park bench green, and the Navy blue she put on them several years ago.

When she first bought this house, Irish Woman stripped out several layers of wallpaper, which was all horrid, but reflected several decades of home decorating fashion.

Add to that the multiple generations of plumbing and wiring that I've encountered, and I'm beginning to feel like Indiana Jones whenever we try to do anything around here.

Now excuse me while I go add another layer for a future domestic archeologist to investigate.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Just as long as you don't have to excavate the septic tank . . .

:-o

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.