Sunday, June 5, 2011

OC Non-Event

Along with Breda and other bloggers, today I made it a point to carry my pistol openly.  In Kentucky, you can OC without a license, so it's not uncommon, especially away from the bigger cities.  I OC every so often, especially in the summer when it's too hot and muggy to wear a cover garment.  I've never been challenged, and today was no exception.

We made a quick jaunt to the Big Blue Box of Lumber and Hardware for paint and garden plants.  As we went in, I double checked to make sure there was no binding signage, and found none.  Other than that, I didn't pay it any mind, and apparently no-one else did.  I noticed no strange looks, and interacted with several employees and other shoppers.  

On the way home, I stopped to get some gas at one of the local stop-n-rob's.  While waiting to pay for my bucket of Coke Zero, I chatted with the local constable, and he didn't say anything about the gun on my hip.  By the way, that's not a euphemism.  The little town I was passing through doesn't have police, they have a constable.  The clerk did notice it as I checked out, but he did it at the same time I noticed the rather large revolver on his hip.  Did I mention that this was a family owned business in a pretty rural area?  Something tells me that a chain store in the suburbs wouldn't have a clerk that was openly armed.

So there you go.  I openly carried a firearm, nothing happened, and no-one else seemed to have an issue with it. 

6 comments:

Nancy R. said...

"... about the gun on my hip. By the way, that's not a euphemism."

I read that as the gun on your hip being a euphemism for ... something.

Old NFO said...

Yeah, but you have to remember DB, you are NOT in a liberal enclave like some of us are... sigh...

DaddyBear said...

OK, now I've got images of Gunny singing "This is my pistol, this is my gun".

Yes, NFO, you just don't see a lot of Joyce Foundation or Brady Campaign bumper stickers in Kentucky.

Julie said...

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay G said...

I went to NH today just so I could participate... :)

DaddyBear said...

I was wondering how you accomplished that Jay.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.