Monday, June 27, 2011

Thought for the Day

Somewhere on this dirtball, at this exact moment, someone is reading "Starship Troopers" for the first time.

I first read it in the overcab sleeping area of my step-dad's RV on a very stormy Minnesota night in 1985.  I read it from cover to cover by flashlight.  I re-read it so many times that when I went to join the Army and the sergeant at the processing station asked me if I wanted to be "MI", I thought he meant Mobile Infantry.  You can imagine my disappointment.

What was your first 'adult' science fiction?  Any good stories of how you discovered it?

8 comments:

North said...

1984 - which I read in... OK years earlier.

North said...

Or do you mean more 'adult' than that?

Hmmmm. I've lost track.

Ruth said...

oh gosh, I've no idea. I was reading my dad's collection of Heinlein and Asimov as soon as I could understand the words. And if my dad wouldn't hand it to me then I'd steal it off the shelf next opportunity. Even at a young age I was an avid reader!

Daddy Hawk said...

I read The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings back in 7TH or 8TH grade. Asimov's Foundation Trilogy (at the time) was the first "real" SciFi that I read. I can't remember exactly when I came across Heinlein and Starship Troopers, but I know it was in High School. I read ST so many times, the paperback finally fell apart.

Old NFO said...

Foundation and Empire, probably around 1960... From Asimov, to Heinlein, to Norton, and all the rest.

North said...

It was about the 4th grade when I read 1984. I was bored and found the book in the family library.

My imagination was sparked well before this book, but this was my first exposure to a dystopian future.

MrGarabaldi said...

bolo, "the honor of the regiment" I also read Starship trooper. I like the restrictions on voting. It would cut out a lot of the problems

Christina RN LMT said...

Very first SF was "Thousandstar" by Piers Anthony, stolen, I mean BORROWED, from my older brother's bookshelf. I never looked back.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.