Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thought for the Day

I'm not a packrat, I just keep all my old code stashed away for later use.

Yesterday I was given a tasking, and I thought I had until Monday morning to have it done.

This morning I found out I had to have it working before I leave work on Friday.

And another tasking came down the chute while I was wrist deep in code at 4:07 PM.

The thought that went through my head as "We who are about to die, salute you!".

So I closed out the script I was writing from scratch, hunted through my old PERL code, and found two or three scripts that if modified a little and combined, should do the job.  Maybe not as  elegantly as the from the ground up re-write I was working on, but they will give us the output we need.  I got the 80% solution done in about 3 hours, and I'll polish it tomorrow.  That'll leave me with time to do the other tasking before the world stops turning due to lack of attention on my part.

Never throw away old code.  You never know when you're going to need it.

1 comment:

bluesun said...

Reminds me of the Vernor Vinge book "Deepness In The Sky," where they have code archeologists. If you've never read it, its a pretty interesting Scifi book

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.