Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Gun Pics from Pittsburg

Here are the pics that best turned out from the NRA Annual Meeting.

First Category - Pimp My Gun!

Don't you wish your SKS was hot like me?

Son, that's old school gangsta right there
Next, guns that made me homesick for Southeastern Arizona.  I haven't seen this many six shooters since the last time I was in Tombstone.
Colt Navy revolver

Colt Navy revolver

A half dozen of gunfighter goodness
I think this is the collection of .357 Magnum revolvers that Frank W. James wrote about.  Lots of history on that wall.
Mossberg had their new AR-15 style gun on display.  I would have gathered more information from the Mossberg guys when I spoke to them, but I didn't see the display until I was getting ready to leave on Sunday.  My main question would have been "For the love of Heston, why!!!!!"  I guess all the cool kids were doing it, so they made a "Me too!" carbine.

I really tried to find an AR that felt right at this show, and had ample opportunity to look at them.  From DPMS to Mossberg to Armalite to Colt and everything in between, I checked them out.  None of them reached out to me and said "Hey, I'd be fun and useful to shoot!".  Even with an extended stock stretched out as far as it would go, or a traditional fixed stock, they all felt short and uncomfortable to shoulder.  Some day, I may find an AR that I like, but for now, I'll leave them to those who enjoy them.

These were the two things from Thompson Center that caught my eye:

TC Hot Shot Single Shot Rifles
The Hot Shot is a single shot trainer aimed primarily at the youth market.  That might come in handy if I decide to get Girlie Bear a dedicated .22 for her to practice with once she's gotten as good as she's going to get with the Rossi CombiRifle. 
TC Hawken Flintlock Rifle
This lovely thing is their Hawken flintlock muzzleloader.  I've seen several percussion cap ignited Hawkins at gunshops and at the range, but this is the first one I've seen in a flintlock.  Overall, the rifle is a little shorter than my Omega and was surprisingly lightweight.  The craftsmanship on it was beautiful for a mass-produced firearm.  The wood on the stock alone made me want to own this one.  Not quite a Kentucky Long Rifle, but getting there.  I will definitely keep this on on my list of guns to covet.

One thing I noticed in the TC display was a lack of an entry level muzzleloader.  Every Thompson Center muzzleloader I picked up felt just right both in carry position and at the shoulder, but they were all much nicer than my Omega when it came to finish and features.  I asked the rep if TC was abandoning the lower-cost segment of the market, and never got a good answer.  I definitely need to follow up on that one a bit more, as decision time for what to buy Girlie Bear for deer season is approaching.

Speaking of muzzleloaders, several of the non-vendor booths had wonderful examples of Pennsylvania and Kentucky Long Rifles, some from the pre-Revolutionary period, but none of my pictures turned out.  Breda and Alan, on the other hand, had the good fortune of getting to handle one.

There were lots and lots of displays of military firearms around, but this one was my favorite:

I am SOOOOO looking forward to Knoxville


And last but not least, some random gunny goodness that I caught in the lens aperture:

Ask not for whom the bell tolls 
This is your brain on heinous looking shotgun slugs, any questions?

Someday, I will need this safe.  This promise I make to myself

The Simunition guys thought it was humorous when I told them about how effective their rounds were against Norwegians

I have a few pictures of the gunblogger crowd, but I'll wait until I have permission to put them up before posting.  Watch this space!

2 comments:

KurtP said...

A shotgun version of a hollowpoint?

DaddyBear said...

Pretty much. I've seen this kind of thing used for deer hunting in areas where centerfire isn't allowed. I'm guessing it would ruin someone's evening if they caught one during a burglary.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.