Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Backup the Backup to a Backup

After the issues with Blogger last week, I realized that I had never backed up my blog.  I'm actually kind of chagrined by that.  You see, in the day job, one of my jobs is to check that my systems are backed up and to work with the group that does backups to fix any issues.

I've been posting here for almost 3 years, and have over 1200 posts, with more than a few comments.  I've never backed that up.

Well, that's fixed.  I'm going to make it a habit to download a backup every week so that when Blogger either pukes all over its shoes again or I decide to move to another platform, my brain droppings will be intact.  And I think I'll add that to my off site backup rotation so that no matter what, my banana bread recipe will survive a Blogger apocalypse.

6 comments:

Keads said...

Good for you. I fear that my humble ramblings do not warrant such care however.

bluesun said...

I kinda feel the same way as Keads. As of now I have a year's worth of random Youtube videos...

DaddyBear said...

Most of what I post is crap, but there are a few nuggets in here that are worth keeping safe.

MrGarabaldi said...

how would I go about saving my brain squeezings on my blog. I am still new to the blogging world.

I thank you for your time

DaddyBear said...

If you look in your "Settings" tab, there's a button near the top for "Export Blog". After that, it's just following the directions. You get an XML file that can save off for recovery later.

MrGarabaldi said...

Thanks Daddy Bear

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.