Thursday, May 12, 2011

An Anniversary

On this date in 1991, 20 years ago, I arrived at Field Station Augsburg.  Two major events happened that day:  I had my first German beer, and began one of the greatest adventures of my life.  I had been in training since August of 1989, and it was time for it to pay off.

So to the rest of the Professionals and former members of the 701st Military Intelligence Brigade, thanks for everything.  And for the rest of you, this isn't a set of missile silos, although it was a candidate for the worlds largest circus tent:

7 comments:

Old NFO said...

We used to call it the gerbil cage, that's what it looked like from the air :-)

On a Wing and a Whim said...

The one on Elmendorf gets called "The Elephant Ear", and I have no idea why...

Happy Anniversary!

MrGarabaldi said...

I remember going to FSB Augsburg for MOS training on the ELINT side. I though about trying to transfer to FSB Augsburg partly because I like the PX because I could pick up some real good tamakya models that depicted tanks and APC's. I would make models of NATO stuff and warsaw pact stuff and it made the ID Friend and Foe classes more exciting.

DaddyBear said...

You were a Juliet? I was a Charlie, but I did some work as a Golf too.

MrGarabaldi said...

I was a Juliet, I enjoyed the work immensely and even now if I see a picture of a certain system( SA-2, SA-6 SA-8 and ZSU I I can immediately ID it and remember the Specs on it. Once the Army trains you, you never forget.

DaddyBear said...

Ahh, the ZSU-23-4. No better way to say "Get off of my lawn!"

MrGarabaldi said...

yep at 2000 rounds per barrel with 4 per system with an excellent radar was feared by our helicopter drivers. The bad thing was that we couldn't build anything like it on the western side of the house. we had that very expensive sgt york system that was mercifully defunded.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.