Monday, December 19, 2011

Literary Anniversary

Today is the anniversary of the first publishing of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" in 1843.  I'm not a Christmasy guy, but I do like the story and message of this classic.  I've read the book and seen several movie adaptations of it, and I have to say it gets the Christmas theme across without being too saccharine.

Coincidentally, Girlie Bear, Boo, and I watched the 2009 adaptation starring Jim Carrey on Sunday afternoon.  I'm not a big fan of Jim Carrey, but he definitely hit the mark with this one.  The animation and voice work by Carrey reminded me a lot of The Polar Express, but without all of the annoying singing and dancing.  I'd definitely recommend this one, and it's available on Netflix streaming.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Carey followed in Eddie Murphy's footsteps; he's a phenomenal talent who chooses awful movies, with a few exceptions. "The Truman Show" is still one of my favorites. I'll have to watch him as Scrooge.

bluesun said...

Muppets is where it's at.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.