Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Get Thee Behind Me

I'm still clean and sober coffee wise.  Not a drop since July 4.  It's easy to not drink hot coffee when it's Africa hot out and the humidity is so thick you need a snorkel.

But now it is fall, and the fall brings thoughts of hot coffee on crisp mornings.

Starbucks recently brought back their Pumpkin Spice Latte, aka Liquid Crack in a Cup.  They're expensive, they're full of fat and sugar, and I crave them like a monkey smacking the feeder bar at a cocaine study.

And now another study extolling the anti-oxidant boost of adding my favorite spices to coffee comes out.  So it's good for you if you can get past the whole "caffeinated to the eyeballs" thing.  And the recipe that UPI included in their report is just not fair.

I may have to fall off the wagon for a few months.  I can quit any time I want to anyway.

6 comments:

Nancy R. said...

"Get thee behind me, Satan, and PUSH!"

I didn't start drinking coffee until I was 47. 47 with a kid in kindergarten, I needed the afternoon energy boost. I still try to refrain until 2:00 in the afternoon.

DaddyBear said...

I started drinking coffee as a whee babe. I've been cutting back from the insane amounts I was drinking while I was trying to work, go to school, and parent, but I finally cut it off.

Hopefully I can have a treat once in a while and not let the monkey get completely back in his saddle.

Ruth said...

Decaf?

We just discovered that our favorite coffee comes in a decaff version, we'll be ordering some next time we order coffee so we can have a non-caffinated hot drink in the evening, besides the traditional hot cocoa anyway. I do tea to some degree, but not always.

Christina RN LMT said...

Decaf still has caffeine. Well do I know this!

I'm so sensitive that even too much decaf ANYTHING gives me the shakes and sweats. It's ridiculous and sad.

Herbal tea is the way I must go. Peppermint, peach, etc. But MAN, do I love Dunkin Donuts decaf iced coffee with lots of hazelnut and milk...

Hi, my name is Christina LMT, and I'm a caffeine-oholic...

Tom Lindsay said...

I once asked my doctor, during an annual physical, if he could help me get off caffeine without going nuts. He said yes, he had a good program.

"But, good God, why???"

So, don't talk to me about it, I'm a second generation enabler. You're on your own.

MrGarabaldi said...

I gave up soda's last year when I though I was having a heart attack. I wasn't All I drink now is green tea, arnold palmers and of course lots and lots of water. I do dring coffee, 2 cups in the morning. Straight black, but it is kona coffee and it taste good that way;)

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.