Thursday, January 19, 2012

Disappointment

On this date in 1989, I made my first trip to the Oakland MEPS station to take my initial physical, sign my enlistment contract, and enroll in the Delayed Entrance Program for the Army.  It was the day after my 18th birthday, and I was ready to take on whatever opportunity I could find to get out of the Bay Area.

It was the day I had my first big disappointment in adult life.  You cannot imagine the crushed feeling when I realized that when the recruiting sergeant offered me "M.I.", he was offering me Military Intelligence, not Mobile Infantry.

I do wish I had a camera to capture the look on his face when I said "Mobile Infantry?  We can do that?  Cool!  Sign me up!".

Next big disappointment:  I had to stay in the Bay Area for another  8 months.  The next slot for me to go to basic training that lined up with language school at Monterey was in August.

Two in one day, and I couldn't even have a beer to make it all better.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.