Friday, July 22, 2011

Alt for Norge

Today, a children's camp on Utoya Island was shot up and a government building in Oslo was blown up.  At the time of this writing, casualties number 16 dead with many more injured.  I expect the death toll to climb as some of those who were wounded at Utoya die and more bodies are uncovered in Oslo.

At the moment, no-one has taken responsibility for these atrocities, so we don't know if it was a terrorist group or the Norwegian equivalent of Timothy McVeigh.  My gut tells me it was some Islamic terror group, but we will see in the coming days.  Norway, like most European countries, has had its share of problems with Muslim immigrants and the terrorist fish that swim through that particular sea. However, the gunman at Utoya is described as Norwegian.

Norway is a NATO ally, and has stood with us in Afghanistan and elsewhere even as a fifth column of Islamists has threatened her.  Through the Cold War, Norway was one of the few NATO countries to actually border the Soviet Union.  Now is the time for us to repay 60 years of allegiance by standing with her.

In the late 1900's 1800's, my grandfather boarded a boat in Oslo.  He left behind the fishing and farming that his family had been doing for generations in the hard, cold land of Norway and sought a new life of hard work and prosperity in the hard cold land of North Dakota.  He found a job, raised two families, and passed on pride of being Norwegian to his sons and their sons.  Today, pride in being Norwegian needs to go beyond "Kiss me, I'm Norwegian" shirts, lefse, and krumkake.

My thoughts and prayers go out to my grandfather's countrymen and our allies in Norway.  We Norse have a reputation for being strong, stubborn, and hard to beat, and I hope that Norway lives up to that reputation in response to this atrocity.  With everything I have this day, I stand with Norway.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Concur- Sad day in Oslo and at the youth camp. I hope whomever did it is caught and executed!

Spikessib said...

Agree, though the report I saw said "Terrorists responsible for today's attacks in Oslo, Norway--which included the bombing of the Prime Minister's office and a massacre at a children's day camp by a gunman dressed as a police officer that has left more than a dozen allegedly dead--have claimed responsibility via social media.

An obscure group called Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami (Assistants of the Global Jihad) posted a message on an Islamist bulletin board called Smukh and may have uploaded a video to YouTube weeks ago several days ago in which they predicted the attack."

Of course, there are naturalized Norwegians now, though not so many. Lots of people claiming refugee status, though. Lots.

When I was born citizenship was still solely by bloodline, so even though I was born there had my father not been a citizen I could not have been. My mother had already become a naturalized American, so I lucked out there too. Of course, she was German so would not have affected my Norwegian citizenship anyway.

Lots of pictures of the bombing here: http://www.norwaynews.com/en/~view.php?72U5b54MR44825z285Ghh844VL3885SV76DHk353Q5L8

Ruth said...

Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami has retracted their statement. I caught a brief bit of news a couple hours ago that said that authorities had a man in custody, a former military person, who was claiming responsiblity for both incidents. Didn't watch most of it cause they promptly went off into "analysis" of it which drives me nuts.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.