Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thoughts on the Day

I don't have much witty to say tonight.  This evening I voted to convict a fellow citizen of a crime that 's going to put him in prison for a very long time.

Yeah, I know, he did the crime, he can do the time.  But it's sobering to think that I judged his guilt and tomorrow I will be part of the decision as to how long his children will be without a father, his wife without a husband, and his parents without a son.  No matter what we decide on this man's fate, it's going to be a blow to the lives of so many people.

Luckily, Boo was still up when I got home, so I got to hug my son and talk to him for a few minutes.  That and a couple fingers worth of Kentucky's finest in a tumbler seem to be doing the trick.

We'll return to our normal content tomorrow.  I'm going to go off the net tonight because I'm afraid anything I have to say will be too maudlin.


4 comments:

North said...

I'll be thinking about you. Take care.

Borepatch said...

If I ever find myself in that box, I want to gaze across the courtroom and see those such as you.

Irish said...

Good Luck, I'm sure it's not easy to do but he made the decision to do what he did. I agree with Borepatch, most people look at jury duty as a waste of their time. I know I did until I got older and wiser. I have to go in April.

DaddyBear said...

Thanks guys. It just wasn't the most pleasant thing I've ever done.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.