Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fighting the Good Fight

A lawsuit against the postal service for their policy that does not allow firearms in post offices and their parking lots has been given the green light to proceed by a federal judge.   The post office had asked for a dismissal of the case, opining:


"Large numbers of people from all walks of life gather on postal property every day. … The Postal Service is thus responsible for the protection of its employees and all the members of the public who enter postal property,"
I regularly carry a pistol for self defense, either openly or concealed.  I wear it to the grocery store, the hardware store, and to the big-box department stores, and I'm not the only one.  I'll bet that more people go through the average Walmart in an hour than go through your average post office in a day.  Somehow, all of us law abiding gun carriers seem to keep it together with few problems. It's almost as if those who legally carry guns are the type of people who can be trusted to not do illegal or stupid things with their guns.


The postal service and other government offices need to stop punishing the 99.99999% of people in the country who live well within the threshold for being called 'legal' and leave us alone to exercise our rights without the hassle of trying to not run afoul of their fear-induced policies.

3 comments:

cybrus said...

Excellent!

Though I find it hilarious that a post office is considered a "sensitive" place...

pax said...

The Postal Service is thus responsible for the protection of its employees and all the members of the public who enter postal property...

Well, that's okay then. They'll be putting up true security measures, and will be financially and legally responsible if those measures fail. Right?

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

What pax said. I eagerly await the metal detectors, security "airlocks", and 24/7 armed guards at every single post office in the nation. Until then, I will continue to be responsible for my own safety.

Of course, I'll trust someone else with my life when I find someone more interested in keeping me alive than I am, and no sooner.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.