Saturday, December 19, 2009

Last Night of Night Shift

Well, I've almost made it through the week.  I can't believe I did this for a couple of years when I was in Germany.  Guess it's easier to be nocturnal when you don't have kids.  Only reason I know it's Friday night is the calendar.  My time sense is messed up beyond all recognition.

The guys I've been working with are pretty easy to hang around with.  For the most part we've been monitoring systems and watching bad movies on AMC.  The 1970's King Kong remake is on at the moment.  Not sure if I like it or not.  I remember this movie scaring the heck out of me when I was a kid.  Guess I'm just jaded now.

I tried doing some coding last night, but it's unreadable, which is pretty hard to do with PERL.  I must have been either hyped up on coffee or half asleep when I wrote it.  I'm going to scrap it and try again on Monday.  If you can't read your own code, even if it somehow works, then it's not going to work when someone comes back to modify or re-use it.

Hopefully I'll get some sleep this morning and then get some Christmas shopping done in the afternoon and evening.  Girlie Bear went to her mom's for the week last night, so all Irish Woman and I have to do is trade off on taking care of BooBoo.  I've gotten a few things, but I'm nowhere near done.  This is going to be a small Christmas, but even at that I'm way behind the power curve.

Girlie Bear and I went out and got a Christmas tree this afternoon.  It's a little late in the season, so the pickings were a bit slim. We found a nice fir and got it set up in the living room.  So far, it's just got lights on it, but we'll finish trimming it tonight.  I'll post a pic once it's done.

It's been raining here for about 12 hours now, and it's supposed to move over to snow later this morning.  We're supposed to get one or two inches, but the eastern part of the state already had 5 inches or so at dinnertime, with more to accumulate overnight.  That's messing up some hunting plans.  The first modern black bear hunt in Kentucky is this weekend, and the area the hunt is occurring is the counties that are going to be hit hardest by the weather.  Here's hoping that some people are able to connect and that everyone comes back safe.  A bear hunt is on my list of things to do sometime in my life, but I'll wait until the state figures out how it wants to run the hunts.

Irish Woman got BooBoo a pair of snow boots, a hat, and a pair of mittens so we can take him out and play if we get an appreciable amount of snow.  My mental image of his snow apparel roughly equates to the suits that climbers wear while climbing up Mt. Everest, with a dash of space shuttle EVA thrown in.  It's her babies first time out in the snow, so I guess she's justified in overdressing him.

If the snow does come, I'll take a few pics and post them.  One of these days we'll get a real snowstorm and then we'll see how pretty Kentucky is.  I'm not looking for a blizzard another ice storm, but I would love to get about 6 inches of snow that lasts more than a few days.  I miss sledding and making snow forts.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.