Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Getting out of the doghouse

Sherman, set the wayback machine to the summer of 2007.

Our intrepid author learned that The Police were going to be coming to Churchill Downs for a concert on their reunion tour.  Being a lifelong Police fan and having a contact with the company that would be providing ushers, security, and ticket takers, I asked if I could get a couple of slots to work it.  I got lucky and was able to get two slots.

Originally, I planned on working it with the Irish Woman, who at the time seemed happy but not psyched about going.

The day of the concert, Junior Bear asked if he could go.  He apparently had liked the music he'd heard and wanted to hear it live.  I asked the Irish Woman and she said OK, but I didn't pick up on the subtle queues she gave that said she wasn't happy about it.

So I took my merry self and Junior Bear out to the Downs, and we worked our butts off while listening to Roxanne and Every Breath You Take.

I got home at about 2 AM, tired and dehydrated.   I had picked up a tee shirt for the Irish Woman.

Little did I know what awaited me.  She had been up all night, stewing.

You see, the Irish Woman has been a fan of the Police since about 30 seconds after their first LP hit the stores.  In the big box of records in the basement is every bit of vinyl they have ever released. 

And I had asked her to not accompany me to the one and only chance she would ever get to see them in concert.

To say that I was in trouble would be a vast understatement.  The tee shirt didn't help, either.

She was mad, but the next day things were going OK.  But the subject of that concert has always been a sore subject.

Now, Churchill Downs is going to hold a 3 day concert festival called HullabaLou.  The premiere act on the first day will be Bon Jovi, another of the Irish Woman's favorites.  The B-52's, Doobie Brothers, and others will also play, so it's going to be a hoot.  She wanted to go, but thought that it would sell out too quickly for us to get a reasonably priced ticket.

I just coughed really hard for Ticketmaster and am the proud owner of a set of tickets for her.  I thought about waiting for Christmas to give the confirmation to her, but she'd be bummed if she thought it was sold out before I could get tickets.  So I gave the confirmation to her and she's currently on the phone to one of her friends making plans for July.  I'm not going to go.  I've never really cared too much for Bon Jovi, and I'll get to spend the afternoon with the kids with no maternal influence.

Think I'm out of the doghouse?

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.