Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Tale of Two Tonsils

Scene 1 - A doctor's office in Minot,  1977

Pediatrician - "Mrs. Bear, you might consider having your son's tonsils out.  They're huge!"

Scene 2 - Military Hospital in Germany - 1993

Physician's Assistant - "Wow, Sergeant Bear, you've got some pretty large tonsils there.  Too bad you still have them.  When things slow down, you ought to make an appointment with the EENT and have those taken out.  You'll have to find a month where there's nothing going on to get through the surgery and recovery."

Scene 3 - Doctor's Office, Louisville Kentucky - 2005

DaddyBear - "Doctor, how do my tonsils look?  I've been advised to remove them in the past, but what do you think?"
Doctor - "Wow, those are huge!  Do you snore?  Let's get you into the sleep center and see if you have apnea.  Do you know what a CPAP machine is?"

Scene 4 - Same Doctor's Office, Louisville Kentucky - 2011

Doctor - "Gosh, your tonsils are huge!  I thought we did something about that.  Go get another sleep study so we can justify surgery to get them taken out and may be a few other things to get rid of that snoring."

So here we are.  Sometime in the next couple of months I will be going under the knife to have my tonsils and other parts of the back of my throat removed.  Hopefully my snoring and continual coughing due to throat issues will be alleviated.  I've alerted my boss that I will be taking two weeks off, and I plan on putting my feet up the entire two weeks.  No trips with the family, no working from home. I will be eating soft comfort food, taking good pain relievers, and watching a whole bunch of cartoons in between naps.

I'll keep y'all updated in case posting here suddenly stops or gets really weird, like a conservative Jim Morrison poetry slam.

5 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Frankly, I'm surprised your tonsils made it past the 70s. Mine were yanked when I was six. I still have problems snoring, though.

WV = explade, Those tonsils are so huge they're about to explade.

bluesun said...

Oh, boy! Drugs!

I still have my tonsils, and (as far as I know) I have no snoring problems. One of the few things in my head that seem to be normal.

Old NFO said...

And ice cream, don't forget the ice cream :-)

DaddyBear said...

I snore in both directions, in and out. I've tried that infernal machine with a lot of different settings and masks, but could never get used to it. Hopefully this does some good. According to the doctor at the sleep clinic, if I don't fix the snoring, it's going to kill me, my children, and everyone I ever knew in a horrible manner.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Soft comfort food - yeah, most fruits can be made into smoothies. And there are many different types of ice cream. And Krispy Kreme donuts are soft... And there are lots of nice savory soups when you feel like a change of pace.

Hey, hope you heal smoothly and quickly, and this takes care of your throat issues.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.