Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Citizenship Test

I am extremely lucky in that my citizenship was given to me at my first breath.  Others make the conscious decision to become citizens.*  I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to give up the country of your birth and attempt to make a new life in a new land.  On more than one occasion, I've heard immigrants say that coming to the United States was the best thing they ever did, but that they would never stop thinking it was funny to need a passport to return to the land of their birth.

Becoming a U.S. citizen isn't easy.  Even if you're lucky enough to already speak English, you still have to learn about our government's structure and workings, our history, and our culture.  You have to undergo background and criminal checks, and have to stay out of trouble for years in order to qualify.  You must also undergo an examination of your knowledge of our country.

Someone provided me with a link to a practice exam on-line.  It's instructive, as a citizen, to take it.  We give every person born here citizenship, but unless they go to an old fashioned school that still requires civics courses, we never expect them to be able to defend their knowledge of our country. I know that poll tests are a bad thing, but it might not be a bad idea if everyone prove that they know something about our government before they serve on a jury or vote.  They test us before they give us a driver's license, why not a ballot or jury slip?

Anyway, enjoy.  I got a 94%, and I'm curious how you all did.

*And bless them, every one.  Without the multiple waves of immigrants from around the world, the stew in the American melting pot would be pretty bland. 

10 comments:

Jay G said...

"RESULT:
You need 60% to pass the test.
You answered correctly 20 out of 20 questions. Your score is 100%.
"

Bask in my glow...

DaddyBear said...

I'm not worthy!

I'm not worthy!

KurtP said...

Only 60%--isn't that failing most other tests?


I got 90%
Missed how many Reps- I picked the wrong of two
And misread the participate in democracy one.

bluesun said...

90%, on a ten question test. Missed the one on when to register for selective service.

Irish said...

I got 19 out of 20.. 95%

THANK GOD I can stay!!

MrGarabaldi said...

I got 100% Of course I tend to study the gov't a lot.
I do like the idea of limiting citizenship. Only citizens of the republic can vote and the only way to be a citizen is to serve in the military or some other capacity first. Those that are willing to subordinate their own interest for society will vote in the interest of society first rather than to vote for plunder.

Of course I am mean spirited for saying such a thing....

Chris said...

Should have kept my 100% out of twenty. Went for fifty and got 88%.

Old NFO said...

I missed 2 out of 50... dammit...

Z@X said...

I did 50 questions and got 90%

Anonymous said...

Woot!

" RESULT:
You need 60% to pass the test. You answered correctly 50 out of 50 questions. Your score is 100%."

Jim-bowb

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.