Thursday, April 1, 2010

Books

I just finished reading several books, and I thought I'd share.

First, one of my managers loaned me a copy of "Andersonville, The Last Depot".  It's a very well written history of the Andersonville POW in the Confederacy during the Civil War.  Conditions weren't that great, and got pretty horrific pretty quickly.  Statistics in the book show that 35% of the prisoners that walked into the camp died there, mostly from malnutrition and disease.  Extremely good read, but not a very happy one.  It's a good look at how POW's were treated prior to the Geneva conventions, and how they're treated today when those conventions are ignored.

I also read the four books in the Joe Pitt vampire series by Charlie Huston.  Sparkly vampires do not make an appearance in this.  Again, if you're looking for a happy read, look elsewhere.  The main character of the books is very much an anti-hero.  He's a good guy, but he is not above doing some pretty bad things to stay alive.  Huston is an excellent novelist, and I look forward to reading more of his stuff. 

I read these using the Kindle software on my iPhone.  For those of you who haven't tried ebooks yet, their time seems to have come.  Amazon has a large percentage of their books available electronically, and there are a lot of other places to get them, including Baen books.  When I have the money for a dedicated reader, I'll be off to the races on these.  I can read the books on the iPhone, but setting the font to something I can see comfortably has me turning pages often enough that it's a distraction.

1 comment:

Christina RN LMT said...

I believe I read the first book in Huston's Pitt series. It's been so long, but I bet it was too dark for me, and that's why I never read the others. I do love me some good vampire books, though...NON-SPARKLING vampires!

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.