Monday, March 22, 2010

OK, OK

Well, they went and rammed through their health care bill. I haven't commented because I try to not get angry about things like this and then come here and rant and rave.  I know that may come as a shock to some of you, but I do.

The few pro-life Democrats who seemed willing to stand up for their principles sold their souls to the Obama administration for 30 pieces of silver in the form of a promise to not use federal tax money to pay for abortions.

Cue Neville Chamberlain voice:  I hold here in my hand, a promise from Mr. Obama to not use your tax dollars to bring about the wholesale slaughter of unborn children.  We have health care reform in our day.

Everyone should be aware by now of my opposition to this bill.  I've sent letters to my senators and representative.  I've blogged about it here, and commented on other blogs.  Where I can, I've lent moral support to those who have the ability to go directly to Washington to protest.

But it didn't work.  Even though a large majority of American citizens are against this effort, it got rammed down our throats last night in the most partisan manner I've ever seen. 

Several of the various states have broadcast their intentions to sue the federal government to stop at least some parts of this new law.  Republican partisans are salivating at the chance to use it as a wedge issue in the upcoming elections.  I expect promises to repeal this law will be quick to come once the political ads start coming hard and fast.

I have a few predictions:

  1. There will be fewer doctors to take care of patients, especially in specialties that due to the high cost of mal-practice insurance already run with a low profit margin.  Why keep seeing patients when there's no way to make a decent living doing it.
  2. Within a year of this law coming into effect, if it's not overturned in court or repealed, my employer will stop offering me health insurance.  It'll be cheaper for them to either give me a little more money to buy my own or more likely just stop with no extra compensation.  Why pay for my insurance when they can just tell me to use what is available at government subsidized rates?  They'll save even more money because they won't have to hire people to administer insurance coverage anymore.
  3. The over-use of emergency departments will continue to rise, and most people will either forgo maintenance care or will have to resort to going to McClinics at their local pharmacies or grocery stores.  Nothing like the bedside manner of an over-worked PA at Kroger's.
  4. Even if the Republicans take back the House and Senate, they either won't repeal this law, or will only repeal those parts they find objectionable, and will keep the new taxes to pay for their own pet projects.

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.  As someone who's worked hard to have a job that provides "cadillac" health coverage, it's an insult to be told that now I'm expected to provide for all of those people in my life who blew off school, didn't apply themselves to get ahead in their jobs, and can now look forward to getting free health care paid for by all of us who work for a living.

I'm all about charity, and give regularly to causes that include providing medical care to the indigent, but I hate being forced.  So now that I'm being forced, I'm looking forward to watching the show as things go downhill. 

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.