Monday, July 20, 2009


This weekend was kinda see-saw-ey. Thursday night, Baby Bear wasn't feeling well. I was up with him most of the night, and stayed home with him on Friday. He didn't run a fever, so we chalked it up to teething. For the most part, he slept all day, which was good because I spent the morning on the phone giving presentations to my management and the afternoon dialed in and working on minor problems.

Saturday we got up and headed out for the day. We wanted to do something family oriented since we weren't going on our mini-vacation. We went to Gallreins and bought a bushel each of sweet corn and green beans and a HUGE watermelon. Baby Bear and Girlie Bear enjoyed the petting zoo very much. All of the animals were interested in Baby Bear except for the llama, which reacted to Baby Bear reaching out to him as if he were going to get shot. Considering that Baby isn't the most gentle creature on earth, that might not have been such a bad idea.

After that, we tooled down to Frankfort to the Salato wildlife center. It's the headquarters of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, and they have an education center that's outstanding. They were having their reptile roundup, so Girlie Bear got to spend an hour looking at and learning about the various snakes and lizards in the commonwealth. We took a walk around to see the animals they have on display. We saw the biggest black bear I've ever seen, and two sets of whitetail twin fawns. This was the first time Girlie Bear had ever seen buffalo and elk, so she was fascinated. I haven't seen a buffalo since I left North Dakota, so it was a treat. Baby Bear was fascinated by the snakes and the fish in the aquariums, and he got to pet a stuffed bear and coyote. Irish Woman took a lot of pictures, so I'll post those once they're downloaded from the camera.

That evening, we went to a friend's house for her daughter's 16th birthday party. It was a pool party with about 20 teenagers, 4 adults, 2 preteens, and one toddler. Oh what joy. I did get to watch Super Troopers, which if you ever get the chance, pass. It was nice to sit and talk to our friends for a few hours and just relax once Baby Bear went to sleep.

Sunday morning, Irish Woman and Girlie Bear woke up with headaches, fever, and upset stomachs. I won't get into the ugly details, but I need to hit the drug store next time they have a sale on Pepto-Bismol. Irish Woman felt bad enough that when I directed her to go to bed and stay there, she didn't argue too much. Our friends from Saturday night called to chat, and when they learned what was going on, they offered to take Baby Bear off my hands for a few hours. That gave me a chance to do some of the weekend housekeeping and kept Baby Bear from exposure to whatever was running through the family.

Luckily, I've not been hit with it so far.

This morning, of course, Baby Bear woke up with a slight fever and kinda sluggish. Irish Woman was feeling better, but not 100%. Since she works in the hospital, that means she's persona non grata at work today. She stayed home and is watching over Baby to see if he gets better or if we're going to have to take him to the doctor.

Girlie Bear was up, bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning. She went to her mom's for the week. She was supposed to go last night, but her mom and I agreed that if she wasn't feeling well, it made no sense to subject her to the half hour drive and possibly spread the ick to Little Bear and her mom.

So, that was my weekend. Saturday was fun, but Friday and Sunday were a wash. Hopefully the week will improve.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at