Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dinner Tonight

Well, Irish Woman had a meeting tonight, so it was me and the kids.

I had pulled some chicken out of the fridge, but it was the wrong kind for what I had in mind. Instead of boneless, skinless breasts to make stir-fry, I had a bag of legs.

So, I dropped back and punted:

Cut up a large onion and one fresh Cirrano pepper, deseeded.

Saute in olive oil in a large wok with garlic and black pepper.

While that's cooking, soak the chicken legs in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.

Once the onions are clear, put the chicken legs in the wok. Cook until they are brown on all sides.

Add 1 cup of low-sodium beef broth, cover, and bring to a boil.

Once it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring twice.

After 10 minutes, place two bunches of broccoli florets, separated into eatable sections, on top of the chicken and recover. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes, the broccoli will be bright green and tender. Shut off the heat and stir to coat the broccoli with the broth. Let sit for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve over pasta.

Yummee.

It was quite good for something I just whipped up, if I must say so myself. The Cerrano pepper added a bit of flavor, but not too much heat. If you want to crank up the spice, use two jalapenos, I think.

The sauce, even with the pasta soaking up some of the broth, was kind of thin. Tasty, but thin. If I wanted to thicken it, I'd add some sour cream to make it richer and thicken it.

I'll have to remember this and play with it.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.