Friday, May 22, 2009

Joined the Legion

Well, today I took the plunge and joined the American Legion. It's been a few years since I left the military, and I've considered it several times, but never got around to it.

I guess my motivation for doing it now was the time that Girlie Bear and I spent in Washington last weekend. While we were touring Arlington, it occurred to me that a lot of the privileges I enjoy as a veteran are due to organizations like the Legion. Also, I read an article recently about how hard it is becoming to find honor guards for veterans and troops who have died in the war in some areas. Being in the Legion will let me participate in a good civic organization, and let me give back to those who came both before and after me.

When I was growing up, almost everyone's dad and grandfather belonged to either the American Legion, or the VFW, or both. So I guess I'm following a family tradition.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.