Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Excellent article on the interrogation controversy

Saw this over at Blackfive. Gregory Kane at the Washington Examiner was at the World Trade Center the morning of September 10, 2001, and apparently shares my lack of empathy for those who have been interrogated.

I've been listening to people CBS (Cry and Blow Snot) over the interrogation methods that have been made public over the past few years with a bit of a cynical view. To be perfectly honest, I'm absolutely apathetic of the plight of people who have been captured while actively planning or executing plans to hurt me or those like me. I went through training as the subject of interrogation by Army interrogators, both newbies and guys who'd been around the block. I wasn't being trained, I was the training aide. kinda like being the guinea pig used to do biology class experiments, only by very motivated students. It sucked, and I'm not ashamed to say that after a while it got really tempting to just give in and tell them my "secret" just to get it to stop. But it didn't cause me actual harm, it didn't make my want to roll into a ball and suck my thumb, and it didn't make me want to call my congressman and the New York Times to complain.

The one mistake that President Bush made was not getting a formal declaration of war in the aftermath of September 11th. With that, a lot of the things that have been blared across the CNN screens would have been covered by the governments war powers, and some reporters would have gone to jail for discussing classified programs such as NSA wiretapping of foreigners who happen to reside in the US.

Mr. Kane makes the point that our foreign policy should boil down to "Don't start nothing, won't be nothing". I like "No better friend, no worse enemy". Even better is "We Americans are a peaceful people, but if you raise a hand to us, we'll cut off your arm".

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.