Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Are jelly donuts allowed in the barracks, Private Pyle?

This morning, I went to see my rheumatologist.  Just a checkup, and overall I'm doing fine.  Blood work looked good, BP is normal.  I really like my doctor.  She's nice, informative, and chatty, but I get the feeling she did her residency at the Lubyanka.

The range of motion check she did had me in stress positions and trying to move my limbs in ways I can never remember moving them prior to coming to see her.  However, after getting me to admit to being a party to two counter-revolutionary plots, she pronounced my health to be generally acceptable.

One problem - weight.  Yes, my tubby self has gained back most of the weight I lost last year.  I got the standard wide body lecture from her, especially about my eating and exercise habits.


Looks like all those Girl Scout cookies I ordered last month are going to have to be given away or put up for a long time.  I'm already looking at schedules with Irish Woman to figure out when I won't inconvenience the family by going to the Y to work out.  Luckily, Girlie Bear wants to do an aerobics/dance class a few nights a week, so I can take her and work out while she's in her class.

What has me snuffling is the thought of cutting way back on all the foods that make life worth living.  Bacon, sausage, beer, ice cream.  Sniff.  And those Samoas and Tagalongs are going in the cupboard to be dolled out in school lunches and such.  I'm going to be going to a steady diet of fiber and fruit.  Have I mentioned how much I hate oatmeal?

8 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Full Metal Jacket. Awesome movie. "How can you shoot women and children?" "Easy. You just don't lead them as much."

I feel you pain brother. I need to shed about 40 pounds myself, but I don't want to. Those Thin Mints are hard to resist. And mexican food. And anything from a bakery...or a brewery...or a distillery...you get the idea.

Old NFO said...

I got my butt chewed the same way, so far I've lost 9lbs with 6 more to go... sigh...

Shannon said...

I've always wished I had been born like those people who don't care about food ~ you know, the ones that eat to live instead of living to eat. For the time being, I have conquered my excess weight, but my addiction to food ~ particularly sugary foods ~ is still in full swing...it is a mental battle of epic proportions every single day that has actually brought me to tears on more than one occasion. Then there is my husband, who doesn't have as many problems with sugar as I do, but just plain loves food...he gets 'the talk' from his Dr. every single visit, and is told that if he doesn't do something about it, then he'll just have more pills thrown at him. He struggles with eating, he battles his knee pain and back pain....he gets angry. It just. plain. sucks.

However..when you get in that 'zone' where you are rolling along and doing right...your body responds in such positive ways that it will be worth all that you have to give up to get there - I know you know that...but sometimes it's good to be reminded anyway. I'm sure all of your readers will be rooting for you!

DaddyBear said...

Thanks guys. It's not going to be easy, and it's certainly not going to be a lot of fun, but hopefully I can find some exercise that's enjoyable and get back at it.

Spikessib said...

Might try some mental conditioning. Eat Cream of Wheat for a while, it'll make the oatmeal look good.

Check out the Weight Watchers site, they have some good recipes and ideas. Very encouraging.

John said...

You can do it! Make the little corrections that will make a big difference. For me it was fast food and soda, plus more running. A little at a time will add up fast.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Hide the girl scout cookies in the bottom of the deep freezer - they last long time, unless discovered. And doled out carefully, three thin mint cookies can be a veritable feast of reward.

I'm trying to stick to microwaving a quarter-cup of frozen raspberries or peach slices, followed by a serving of yogurt, for breakfast. It's worked a lot better since the last of the bacon disappeared from the fridge and hasn't re-appeared on the shopping list.

Spikessib said...

AD of Ambulance Driver Files has just started a diet and posted a challenge that may interest you. Hope you're doing well so far.

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.