Monday, October 18, 2010

Book Report

I've been able to get two new books under my belt lately, which is remarkable.  Reading for me is deliciously selfish, and I normally don't get to read for more than 15 minutes at a stretch.

First, I read Beyond Exile:  Day by Day Armageddon, by J.L. Bourne.  This story continues the journal of the main character in Day by Day Armageddon as he continues to survive in a world where 99% of humanity has been turned into flesh eating zombies, there is no real government to speak of for the other 1%, and he has to work day in and day out to survive and help others he gathers along the way.  My only quibble is that it plods in places, but I think that's an artifact of the main character's day to day recollections of survival, rather than telling a story. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  The author made sure you felt the main character's budding despair and fatigue of continually having to fight to survive. 

Next came Monster Hunter Vendetta, by Larry Correia.  This is another sequel, this time to Monster Hunter International.  The main character, Owen Pitt, finds himself being hunted down by followers of a cult centered around the Old Ones.  His family and friends are targeted in order to get to him, and Owen starts to become more aware of who he really is.

I'd definitely give this one an A.  Read it after everyone else has gone to bed, and expect to have a late night.  It's a real page turner.

Both books are the second book in a series, although MHV is more of an independent story with connecting storyline to the pre- and sequels.  Either way, I look forward to reading the next installments in both story lines.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at