Tuesday, June 9, 2009

R E S P E C T

find out what it means to me.

All joking aside, I got pointed to the RESPECT Act, which seems to basically make it easier for unions to get people who up to this point have not been eligible for union membership into the unions. Sometimes it would be done through an election to see if the workers want to join the union. Sometimes the union will get its nose under the tentflap in one area, and then demand that it represent another area that does similar work within the same company. No election or choice there.

This would impact me because the company classifies me as a supervisor, even though I don't actually manage anyone. It's done mostly to allow the company to pay me a salary that's comparable with what I would get if I worked in IT at another company.

I work in a heavily union company, and I'm very happy not being in the Union, thank you very much. Union employees have to punch the clock, literally. I have a lot of flexibility in my work schedule, which makes it a lot easier to schedule doctor's appointments and the like and make up the time in the evening or weekend. Union employees have to schedule sick time or vacation hours to do these kinds of things.

I also like knowing the size of my paycheck every month. Salary is the way to go if you want a stable income to raise a family with. Sometimes hourly pays better, but usually it pays worse. Also, I don't like the idea of having to pay union dues to get the same benefits I'm getting now, and having "fines", read extortion money, levied against me by the union if I do something to piss them off.

Also, I like the fact that if my manager thinks I'm doing an outstanding job, then he can reward me with a larger than normal pay raise when that time of year comes around. With a union, everyone gets paid the same, whether they're a stud or a dirtbag.

So I'm reaching out to my congresscritters and asking them to oppose this legislation. I encourage all of you to do the same.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.