Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Kinda illustrates my efforts on Monday

Monday morning, before I went to the doctor, I attempted to do some work from home. I was still really uncomfortable, and kinda dopey from pain medication, but I thought I could at least patch a few servers.

I was so wrong. I had to do 1 production and about 10 test systems. The prod server had issues, but not due to my condition. My condition made it a little harder to deal with the problems, but at least I didn't cause it. Kinda like the drunk on the side of the road with a flat. Being drunk didn't cause the flat, but it doesn't help.

The test systems? Fuhgeddaboutit. I messed some of those systems up so badly I'm surprised they booted. Forgot to add the kernel to the patchset. Forgot to install new versions of software for the applications and databases. Did work as the wrong users. You name it.

I may write the whole experience up as a "Don't try this at home" kind of thing. Remember kids, codeine and systems administration don't mix.

The look in this guys face is pretty much how I must have looked at about 9:45 on Monday morning when I realized just how messed up I was and how messed up I had done.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.