Friday, March 27, 2009

Accuracy in Dilbert

Today's Dilbert accurately describes my attitude this week. Only problem is I can't throw a coffee cup at people in meetings. I can only fantasize about it.

Earlier this week, I gave a presentation on an effort I've been working on for about 4 years to senior management. Apparently, they didn't know just how much work I've been doing, and how much progress I've made, because they were astonished at the results I was showing them. Now they want high level talks with our corporate masters as to whether or not we want to be doing the effort anymore.

I apparently threw a hand grenade in their henhouse when I pointed out that the effort made good technical and business sense, and showed them why not doing it would be a bad idea.

Don't get me wrong. Everyone from the local VP on down is telling me what I've done is great, but it goes beyond what the policy I was working under asked for. I call it exceeding the standard. Others may differ. But at least it's got people talking about something I care about.

Thank goodness I go on vacation for the next few days. By the time I get back, all of this should be decided, one way or another.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.