Monday, October 11, 2010

Dinner Tonight

I was going to make a pot roast, but what I thought was a beef chuck roast turned out to be a bunch of pork steaks, the pork chops older, better brother.  So I winged it. 

Layer the bottom of the crockpot with 1/2 inch of miropoix  That's one chopped onion, three chopped carrots, and three chopped stalks of celery.  Place one pound of pork steaks on top of the vegetables in an even layer across the pot.  Add soy sauce and Worcestershire to taste, along with two chopped cloves of garlic. 

Pour in one dark fall beer.  I used Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale, but any dark spicy beer will work.  Don't worry, the pumpkin in this beer is a very minor note in a very complex brew. 

Pour in one can of low salt beef broth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

On top of the meat, broth, and flavorings, add the potatoes.  I prepared these by quartering 5 or 6 large russet potatoes, then cutting the quarters into 1/4 inch slices.  Layer the potatoes across the top of the meat.

Set the crockpot to high heat and let it cook all day.

I'm going to make a big pot of steamed broccoli.  It's BooBoo's favorite vegetable, and it's fun to watch him make the Ent army on his plate before devouring them.

I will serve by taking the potatoes out of the pot, then carefully taking the pork steaks out and putting them in a shallow pan.  Then I will re-add the potatoes to the crock pot and mix them thoroughly with the vegetables and juice.

I will garnish the pork with a healthy serving if Dixie's Awesome Sauce.  Since I already opened the Chipotle flavor, I will use that tonight.  Use whatever meat sauce strikes your fancy.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.