Monday, February 22, 2010

A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold

This weekend, I took advantage of the good weather to do a little maintenance on the truck.  Nothing much.  I changed the air filter and replaced a blown headlight bulb.

When I fired it up, I noticed the RPM's were a tad high, but thought it might be from the new air filter.  The old one was pretty gunky, and I thought it would even out once the computer got used to getting more air.

But when I took her out on the road, I had an unpleasant surprise.  The brakes were extremely stiff, and I had almost no braking power.  Further investigation yielded nothing.  I got her back in the driveway with no crashes.

I know little about fixing modern brakes, so I called my mechanic after he opened this morning.

He said it sounded like either a power booster or master cylinder, or both.  A quick check of a parts website showed that parts alone would run into the $200 range, and then add in labor and taxes.  Plus a rental car to get around for a few days while he ordered parts.  Ouch.

So, with trepidation and thoughts of my ammunition budget for the next couple of months flying away, I nursed the truck to the garage.

He took a look, started the engine, and then put a brake hose back on that I didn't see when I knocked it loose.

Charge - nothing except a handshake.

As I drove home, my brakes were good as new, and my RPM's were exactly where they belonged.  I guess the engine was working overtime trying to get pressure into that hose, and that's why it was racing.

Someone earned himself a box of donuts tomorrow morning and a recommendation every time someone in Louisville is looking for a mechanic. We've bought tires and such from him in the past, and Irish Woman takes her car there when something goes wrong that I can't fix.  I think I'll be taking my cars there more often too.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.