Monday, March 9, 2009

College Open House

The Irish Woman and I took Junior Bear up to Indiana University Southeast for a visit on Saturday morning. Baby Bear went to one of the Irish Woman's surrogate mothers for the morning, and we made our way up to the wilds of Southern Indiana. The drive up was pleasant, but I think there must be a bounty up on my head in Indiana, because every Hoosier I came across tried to kill me with their vehicle.

The campus and programs at IUS are really nice. Junior Bear got to meet the head of the Math/CS department, and they spent the better part of half an hour talking. Much better than when I tried to find out about programs at Cal when I was in high school. All I got was a quick blurb about the program and assurances that I wouldn't get in.

IUS has been around for a while, but it seems that all of the existing structures are relatively new. Junior really liked the dorm, which are basically a set of 2 or 4 bedroom apartments. Each set gets at least one private bathroom and a kitchenette.

Junior Bear is pretty stoked about the place at the moment, and I made pains to point out how inexpensive a bachelors degree would be at IUS when compared to the other state schools he's considering, much less the private universities he's interested in.

Hopefully he'll make a good decision on where to go to school. It'll be the first major one he makes as an adult.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.