Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas musings

OK, this is the more later.

I'm not a Christmas person.

Haven't been in my entire adult life.

I identify with the Grinch, even if he did wimp out there at the end.

I do all the religious things about Christmas, and I make sure I give a bit more to charity this time of year. I try to be pleasant to my friends and coworkers a bit more. And I of course indulge my children and wife a bit with treats and presents.

But I try to do all of those things throughout the year, even if I fail at it regularly.

I don't buy the artificial cheerfulness that infects everyone during these times. I certainly don't buy the "Peace on Earth, goodwill to men" bit while I'm watching the Lord of the Flies shopping experience on the evening news, or the latest "Kill them in the name of God / The children are all dieing because someone higher in society cut off the food" coverage from some third world craphole.

I've seen a lot of how badly people can treat each other, both here and abroad. I've heard the catch phrase "Make every day Christmas". But it's just a slogan, a marketing gimmick. Until people can act like they care that someone other then themselves lives or dies, I don't buy the Christmas Spirit thing.

When we have food and clothes drives for the poor in June, and they're well taken care of, don't wish me a Merry Christmas.

Until parents stop beating their kids and each other during the rest of the year, don't tell me how nice it is that Mom and Dad don't fight over the holidays.

Until you understand that your kids need time with you doing something meaningful all year long, don't tell me how great it is that you were able to score the latest electronic babysitter for them by pushing a grandmother and her walker out of the way at WallyWorld.

No, I'm not the best human being in the world, and I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to not loving my fellow man as I would like to be loved myself. But I at least recognize how hypocritical it is to mark off a few weeks during the winter where we have to at least act like we care about the rest of humanity.

So, to all of you out there, have a Merry Christmas. And while you're at it, I wish you a good time throughout the rest of the year. I'll try to do my part to help you along with that one.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at daddybearden.blogspot.com.