Monday, July 21, 2008


This was a great weekend.

Saturday morning we all went blueberry picking. We got there at 9 AM and it was really nice out. There were a lot of people out filling buckets, and we had a good time picking and talking to the other families that were there. Baby Bear took a nap for the most part, and Girlie Bear had a good time filling up her own bucket.

There was a family one row over from us with two toddlers. I hope they did a before and after comparison of the kids' weight at the check-in stand, because these kids were purple from all of the berries they had tasted. They were enjoying playing hide and seek in the bushes, and it was a lot of fun to see and hear them. It's what we have to look forward to when Baby Bear gets to that age.

We got about 20 pounds of blueberries picked by 10, and then the sun came up over the knobs.

The temperature immediately went up almost 15 degrees, and it became a great day to spend some time in the air conditioning. Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky have really nice springs and falls, but when summer really kicks in around here, it becomes nasty quickly.

We checked out and headed back to town. On the way back, we stopped to see family in Indiana. We had a good afternoon with them and I was asked to go fishing that evening at a place I'd heard of and never been to.

Went home, took a nap with Baby Bear. You know, there's nothing better than feeling a baby fall asleep on your chest.

Went fishing from about 6 PM Saturday until 2 AM on Sunday. Didn't land anything, but had a really good time. I got to use a bunch of tackle for bass and bluegill that I'd never tried, and I'm planning a trip to Bass Pro for some additions to my tackle box. My partner only landed 4 or 5 small bass, and that was only just as the sun went down. He's one of the best fishermen I've ever known, and he normally gets enough fish to fill his stringer. We got bites all evening long, but nothing was that interested in our lures and bait.

The water temperature was probably the problem. This lake goes to about 30 feet deep, the water temperature at the surface was 86 to 88 degrees. Everything seemed to go deep and stay still all evening long.

Even though they weren't biting, it was a great evening. We were far enough out of town that there were no lights, and we got to see more stars than I've seen in a long time. Lots of other wildlife came down to the lake after dark, and we saw raccoons, deer, and opossums. Lots of birds were active, including whipporwills. We even saw bats in the moonlight.

Sunday, the Irish Woman let me sleep in until 11 AM, and I woke up to hot coffee and blueberry pancakes with homemade blueberry syrup. Got to love a wife who knows how to cook.

Spent the rest of the day puttering around the house and having fun with Girlie Bear.

What a great way to spend my last weekend of vacation.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
DaddyBear's Den by DaddyBear is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at